Teeth grinding, or bruxism, is a common dental problem that is typically the result of stress and/or an underlying bite problem. A Dawson Academy alumni, Dr. Zachary Sisler is one of few Shippensburg area dentists with the advanced training necessary to provide diagnosis and treatment for teeth grinding that will address symptoms and restore a healthy smile. Teeth grinding can lead to a wide range of painful and debilitating symptoms:
- Worn, flat or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
Left untreated, teeth grinding can have a permanent effect on your dental health and threaten the integrity of your teeth and gums. Dr. Sisler will evaluate your oral health with a comprehensive approach known as complete dentistry. This Dawson Academy concept takes into account all aspects of your smile, including the teeth, gums and jaw joints. This approach seeks to identify dysfunction in the bite that is contributing to teeth grinding as well as affecting your overall oral health.
Treatment for Teeth Grinding in Shippensburg
Although stress is one of the primary causes for teeth grinding, an underlying bite problem can set the stage for grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw. In addition to thoroughly assessing the function of your bite, Dr. Sisler will discuss any lifestyle habits that may be contributing to your teeth grinding and make appropriate treatment recommendations. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, restorative dental treatment is also necessary to correct dysfunction in the bite and repair damage caused teeth grinding.,
- Bite Guard – Dr. Sisler often uses a teeth grinding mouth guard, or bite guard, to stop teeth grinding. A bite guard is a customized, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that is made to fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding. Most bite guards are worn at night, however, some patients wear their teeth grinding mouth guards during high stress situations.
- Bite Alignment Therapy – Dr. Sisler provides a comprehensive and broad range of services to correct the causes of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, is one cause for teeth grinding. Teeth can be corrected to proper alignment through the use of invisible braces, dental crowns, dental veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage – Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, the dentist will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. Dr. Sisler may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Real Patients, Real Results
“Teeth were worn down to where they were causing problems. Dr. Sisler said you could probably let it go for a little while, but if you want to save your teeth you have to get them done. It makes it easier to chew steak and things like that. I believe it’s worth getting done if you want to save your teeth.” Dave
Schedule An Appointment
If you are concerned that you may be grinding our teeth and have noticed any of the above mentioned signs of bruxism, schedule a visit with Dr. Sisler in our Shippensburg dentist office. Treatment for teeth grinding can be life changing for patients suffering from painful symptoms and tooth damage.
We welcome new patients from many local communities including Chambersburg and Waynesboro, PA. Contact us at (717) 532-8740 or request an appointment online.